Welcome to the first day of our week-long book club discussion of The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I really hope you all enjoyed the book. Just in case you are new to the CSLJ Book Club, here’s how things work. Every day, I will write up a couple of discussion questions to get the conversation started and post them here and on the C. S. Literary Jewelry Facebook page. To join in the conversation, simply leave a comment on either post and then check back later to read and respond to the comments that your fellow book lovers have left. (If you would like a heads up when the new discussion questions have been posted, you can sign up to receive them here.)
Please feel free to jump in and comment and post as much as you’d like. Our conversations are always better when we have a lot of participation but don’t worry too much if you miss a day or fall behind. I will include links in my emails and posts that make it easier for you to go back to read and comment on earlier posts and we also have a catch up day scheduled on Sunday for folks who need a little extra time to write up their responses.
And now that we are all on the same page, (if you will pardon the pun), here are the first batch of discussion questions:
1. Was this your first time reading The Color Purple?
2. Have you read any other Alice Walker books?
— If so, which one(s) and how would compare The Color Purple to it/them?
— If not, now that you have read The Color Purple, how likely are you to look out for more Alice Walker books in the future?
3. Have you seen The Color Purple movie, The Color Purple musical, or any other version of The Color Purple? If so, how does the book compare, in your opinion, to the adaptations?
4. What did you think of the book?
— For new readers: Was the book what you expected it to be?
— For re-readers: Did your opinion on the book change after reading it again? In what way?
5. Was there any character / quote / part of the book that your particularly liked? Was there any character / quote / part of the book that your particularly disliked? Why?